This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

What should I do?

Hospitals are finding that many patients who turn up in the Accident and Emergency Departments would have had a better service elsewhere.


Your GP Surgery (01202) 825353

Verwood Surgery is open 8:30am to 1pm, and 2pm until 6:30pm Monday to Friday.

The surgery runs a triage surgery each weekday morning. If you feel you need to speak to or see a Healthcare Professional for something that can not wait until there is a routine appointment, you can ask to be added to the Triage list and a healthcare professional will call you back. You will be asked by the reception team the nature of your problem. This is so that the duty Doctor can assess the urgency of your call.


Are you aware of the following services?

NHS Direct will be changing their phone number from the 19th March to 111

NHS Direct is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you want health advice and information, you can contact them by telephone on 111. They give access to roud the clock clinical information, confidential advice and assurance. Their healthcare professionals include nurses, trained health advisors and dental advisors who can deal with a wide range of health queries.


Minor Injury Unit at Victoria Hospital Wimborne (01202) 856410

This is a nurse led service assessing and treatment of minor injuries and illness for adults & children. They offer advice & treatment of lacerations, burns & wounds, musculoskeletal injuries including sprains & strains, to leg and arm fractures, head injuries, eye injuries, foreign bodies, assessments following a fall in the elderly. They offer treatment & advice for minor illnesses such as coughs & colds, asthma, bites & stings, rashes & allergic reactions, earache & sore throats, and Emergency contraception.

Opening times - 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday. Last appointment 3:30pm.


Advice from pharmacies

Local chemists and pharmacists have knowledge of most everyday health issues. They can suggest the best medicine and advice to help.


Urgent Care Services (UCS) 111

This is an out-of-hours medical service to contact if you become medically unwell when the surgery is closed. It is not for routine enquiries such as booking an appointment, ordering repeat prescriptions or to obtain test results. This service is manned by experienced Doctors working for UCS.

Accident and Emergency Departments (A&E)

Accident and Emergency departments are for severe injuries such as fractures, nasty burns and wounds that require stitching. The A&E department is also for severe medical emergencies such as breathing difficulties, rapid deterioration and chest pain.

Generally unwell children will see a more experienced Doctor at your GP Surgery or the Urgent Care Service than in the Accident and Emergency Department.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website